2016

2016

Wednesday, July 22, 2015

Trump's Sins

"With this in mind, moderator Frank Luntz asked Donald Trump on Saturday, “Have you ever asked God for forgiveness?”
I’m not sure I have,” Trump said. “I just go on and try to do a better job from there. I don’t think so. I think if I do something wrong, I think, I just try and make it right. I don’t bring God into that picture. I don’t.”
He quickly added in garbled syntax, “We I take, when we go, and church and when I drink my little
wine – which is about the only wine I drink – and have my little cracker, I guess that’s a form of asking for forgiveness, and I do that as often as possible because I feel cleansed, OK? But, you know, to me that’s important, I do that, but in terms of officially, I could say, ‘Absolutely!’ and everybody, I don’t think in terms of that. I think in terms of, let’s go on and let’s make it right.”
The comments, obviously, were largely overlooked because they were soon followed by his controversial criticisms of Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.), but Byron York reported yesterday that it was Trump’s religious rhetoric that arguably mattered more to this specific audience.
A senior Iowa Republican who was in the room, sitting with a group of grassroots activists as Trump spoke, was dumbfounded by the candidate’s views of religion. “While there were audible groans in the crowd when Trump questioned whether McCain was a war hero,” the senior Republican said via email, “it was Trump’s inability to articulate any coherent relationship with God or demonstrate the role faith plays in his life that really sucked the oxygen out of the room.”
The senior Republican continued: “Milling around talking to activists in the hallways/lobby after Trump’s speech, THAT is what those Iowa conservatives were discussing, not the McCain comment.”" msn

No comments:

Post a Comment